Quick Help

Knowledgebase is a categorized collection of answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ) and articles. You can read articles in this category or select a subcategory that you are interested in.

 Category: FAQ


       Differences between the processes - intercountry adoption
       Should I apply for permanent residence for my adopted child, rather than Canadian citizenship?
       How do I adopt a child from another country?
       How long will the adoption process take?
» More topics
 Application Status
       If I apply today, do the processing times show how long it will take to process my application?
       Why are there differences in processing times among regions and offices?
       How are processing times calculated?
       How can I check the status of my application?
» More topics
 Applying General
 Applying Online
       If I am already in Canada, will I have to give my biometrics?
       Will it take longer to get my visa because I have to give my biometrics?
       How long will my fingerprints given for biometrics be kept?
       Why do I have to give my biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when I apply for a visitor visa, study permit, or work permit?
» More topics
 Caregiver Program
       Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
       What is a non-routine citizenship application?
       Can I count any time I’ve spent outside of Canada toward the physical presence requirement when applying for citizenship?
       What does “adequate knowledge” of English or French mean when applying for citizenship?
» More topics
 Express Entry
 Immigration representatives
       Tips on Choosing a Representative
       What could happen if I do not tell Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) I paid an immigration representative?
       What should I do if CIC returns my application, saying my representative is not authorized?
 Leaving/Returning to Canada
 Permanent Residents
 Settlement services
       Who is eligible to take government-funded language classes?
       I'm working or studying in Canada temporarily. Can I take Government of Canada funded language classes?
 Sponsoring your family
       How do I ensure that my sponsorship application is not delayed or refused?
       What does the Government of Canada consider to be a common-law relationship?
       Does CIC recognize marriages conducted by proxy, telephone, internet and fax?
       When will the Parent and Grandparent Program (PGP) re-open to new applications?
» More topics
       Study Permit Application Package
       I need to calculate family size when applying for the parent and grandparent super visa. Whom should I include?
       How can I extend my stay as a visitor?
       Do I really need an eTA to fly to or transit through Canada since there is a leniency period?
       How does the parent and grandparent super visa differ from a visitor visa?
» More topics
 Work permits
       I have applied to extend my work permit. Can I travel outside Canada?
       What is a POE Letter?
       Can my spouse or common-law partner work in Canada?
       Can my spouse or common-law partner apply for a work permit from within Canada?
» More topics